RED VELVET – SANTA CUPCAKES
This is my all time favorite recipe for red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Here they are made with a christmas twist, with Santa’s hat. The frosting is made red with food coloring and on top, a mini meringue. I usually make them mini size (24), but you can also make them normal cupcake size (12).
Red Velvet – Santa Cupcakes
Makes 24 mini cupcakes
3 dl Flour
1 tbsp Cacao Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 dl Sugar
2 dl Sunflower Oil
2 tbsp Red Food Coloring
0,5 tsp Vanilla Sugar
1 dl Sour Milk (Swedish Filmjölk)
1 tsp White Vinegar? (Swedish Ättikssprit 12%)
0,5 tsp Baking Soda
100 g Cream Cheese
6 dl Icing Sugar
25 g Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Sugar
Red Food Coloring (to get the shade of red you want.)
- Mix the flour, cacao powder and salt and put a side.
- In another bowl, whip oil and sugar. Add the egg, vanilla sugar and red food coloring.
- Add flour mix and the sour milk.
- Mix the white vinegar and baking soda in a small cup, it will make a fizzing sound. Then add it to the mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners to 3/4 and bake in the middle of the oven at 175°C in 20 min
- Let cool before you decorate with frosting
- Mix cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla sugar and butter. Add the red food coloring to the frosting. (Here you have to adjust the frosting with more icing sugar if it gets too liquid depending on how much food coloring you use.)
- Use a piping bag to get the right shape of Santa’s hat for the frosting and add a mini meringue on top.